top of page
What Are My Options?

If you have experienced sexual assault or online sexual exploitation...

There are many different options available to you if you are looking for more support. One first step that many youths might take is to talk to a trusted adult in your life. This can be incredibly difficult and scary, but it can be a huge part of your healing process and can make the other options more accessible.

Options for Reporting

Crisis/Emergency Situations

SAFFRON Centre Ltd is not a crisis centre. If you have experienced sexual violence and are in need of medical attention or you are in immediate danger, call 911 and/or proceed to your nearest Emergency Department for assistance. 

Reporting Directly to the Police

If you feel comfortable, you can report directly to the police either over the phone or by going into your local detachment. If you choose to phone the police, they may send a uniformed officer to you to collect the information needed to start the police report.


In the Greater Edmonton Area, most police files are referred to the Zebra Child Protection Centre for police interviews. Zebra has youth-friendly interviewing space and offers follow-up support to families affected by abuse. 


Reporting Directly to Child and Family Services 

You can report to Child and Family Services and speak to a Child Intervention caseworker by phoning the Child Abuse Hotline at 1-800-387-5437.


Having Someone Report on Your Behalf 

Someone else may call in the initial police report on your behalf. Police will eventually need to speak with you. This may be done at your local detachment or at a child advocacy centre in your area. 


Reporting Online 

If you are over the age of 16 and the assault occurred more than 7 days ago, you may be eligible to make the initial report online.


Reporting to Cyber Tip 

You can report online sexual exploitation on Cyber Tip’s website at

Options for Medical Attention

Sexual Assault Response Team (SART)

In addition to collecting forensic evidence and helping with the reporting process, SART nurses can give a full medical examination, including testing for sexually transmitted infections. If you have not already reported, the nurse may be legally obligated to report on your behalf.

  • If you are 14 years old or older, you can go to a hospital and tell the triage nurse that you need to see a SART nurse. You must go within 7 days of the sexual violence to access this service.

  • If you are under the age of 14, you can go to The Child and Adolescent Protection Centre at the Stollery Children’s Hospital. You must go within 3 days of the sexual violence to access this service.


Family Doctor 

You can go to your family doctor if you have concerns about any physical impacts from the sexual violence. If you have not already reported, be aware that they may be legally obligated to report on your behalf.


Child and Adolescent Protection Centre 

Provides care for those under the age of 14 who have experienced sexual violence. It is recommended that anyone under the age of 14 who is suspected or confirmed to have a sexually transmitted infection be managed by the Child and Adolescent Protection Centre at the Stollery Children’s Hospital, which you can phone at 780-407-124.


Sexually Transmitted Infections Clinic 

Provides testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections. Available for those 14 years old or older and reachable by phoning 780-342-2300.

Options for Counselling & Ongoing Support

Counselling from a Trauma-Informed Therapist 

There are many different sexual assault centres that offer counselling to minors who have experienced sexual violence. At Saffron, reporting is no longer a requirement for minors to access the counselling program. 


Support from a Police and Court Advocate 

You can receive guidance and support from a trained advocate who will work alongside you throughout the entire criminal justice process and will explore different options with you. 

Community Support 

You can reach out to spiritual, religious, and cultural leaders in your community (such as Pastors, Priests, Elders, and Rabbis) for ongoing support. If the abuse is ongoing or at risk of recurring, they will be legally obligated to report if you have not done so already.  

  • Catholic Social Services: 780-432-1137 

  • Native Counselling Services of Alberta: 1-780-451-4002 /  

  • Unlimited Potential Community Services’ Indigenous Resources: 780-440-0708 ext. 273 /  


For more information contact the centre directly via phone at (780)449-0900 or email

Options for Help After Online Sexual Exploitation

Need Help Now 

While it can never be guaranteed that images can be completely removed from the Internet, Need Help Now can help get them removed and give you some control over the situation. You can go to for help.

bottom of page